Coughing and sore throat. Suggest the treatment

I am having some cough problem.I used medicines and cough serup for the same but still having the problem.While taking bath I face lot of cough problem. Also facing sour throat problem.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elaborate your complaints and medicines used...

Detailed Answer:

You seem to be suffering with upper respiratory tract infection. Please elaborate your complaints - duration of problems, severity of cough, whether there is mucous associated with cough / breathing problem, associated fever and so on.

Also may I know what your physician's opinion about your problem was? What medication was prescribed to you.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Coughing and sore throat. Suggest the treatment 16 hours later
I took following medicine:

This is what I have taken it from Medical shop not with any physician consult.

Cough serup I just took like

I have this problem since 2 weeks and don't have any breathing problem normally but in case of stairs and long walk I feel so.Some gluey things comes out I don't know what mucus is but yes some times I got some gluey things with cough.

Please let me know in case it require some test or so.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait and observe...

Detailed Answer:

It would have been useful if you had posted details about fever.

Presence of fever will be a driving force to investigate you - complete blood count and X-ray.

If you have no fever, the cause could either be allergy, post viral / treated bacterial infection. Since you have already taken antibiotic - this would mask symptom / signs of serious infection. Therefore I always discourage use of antibiotics. Do not take antibiotic in future based on chemist/pharmacist opinion, it not only interferes with current problems but also increases your chances of resistant organism.

Any way, in this circumstance, I will order for more tests only if you have fever. Absence of fever mean you can wait for couple of weeks more. Continue Tus Q syrup. If throat is hurting, try disprin gargles (tablet disprin dissolved in a warm glass of water). Drink plenty of fluids, plenty of fruits and vegetables and rest well. Symptoms might resolve in a week or two.

Hoe his helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Coughing and sore throat. Suggest the treatment 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,

Sorry I miss about fever but just to let you know I didn't had fever for last few year.
Also I am doing Gargling and drink lot of warm water every now and then but still it persist do you still recommend me to wait for 2 weeks and also will Gargling with disprine will help in this?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please be patient and wait for couple of weeks...

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The use of antibiotic was unnecessary in the absence of fever. It does fasten the recovery period.

In this circumstance, I suggest you to be patient and wait for couple of weeks. You need to seek medical attention if cough worsens or if you develop associated symptoms as described earlier - high grade fever, chest pain and breathing difficulties at rests.
Continue cough syrup and disprin gargles. Improved nutrition with plenty of fluids, vegetables and fruits will help you. Avoid cold and refrigerated food stuff.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.