Coughing after drug eluted stents placed, taking Aspirin, yellow mucus. Should we worry?

Due to 95% blockage in his LAD, my father, 58 years old, had drug eluted stents put in three days ago. Since the procedure, he has had cough that seems it won't he never had prior. Should this be something to be worried about? He is currently taking Plavix and 380 milligrams of Aspirin. During the procedure, the left main was torn and had to be covered up with an additional stent. His doctor expressed concern with this stent in particular because scar tissue may end up covering up another artery connected to the left main. We called his nurse and she said not to worry. However, with this cough, he said he has coughed up yellow mucus. Do we need to get him back to the doctor??
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 26 hours later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Cardiology, working with an experienced Cardiologist. I answer on his behalf.

You need not take him back to the doctor on an emergency basis but may consider visiting him at his office at an appointment.

The condition is not life threatening, some amount of cough is usually present after any surgical intervention. It is a concern if there is associated fever, pain, shortness of breath and other symptoms.

He must have already been on high dose antibiotics prior to the surgery. It will take care of the cough.

This is not worrisome, but you need to XXXXXXX the doctor and get his lungs auscultated to rule out underlying infection.

He has to continue on Plavix and Aspirin as well.

Hope this helps.