Coughed up. Noticed thick and very fibrous clump of phlegm. Which specialist should I consult?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a word throat for a day or so. The irritation has caused unproductive coughing although I felt like something was in my throat. Just a few moments ago I coughed up what looked like a thick, very fibrous clump of phlegm (?). It is thicker in some parts and blood throughout like veins. I have kept it to show a doctor but not sure what type of doctor to see. what is this? Should I go to an urgent care?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The piece of tissue that you have coughed up could be a detached polyp or a part of the respiratory tract mucosa that became detached due to an inflammation in the area. A histopathological examination will help in the confirmation.
If there is any bleeding form your throat and the raw sensation is persistent then you need to attend an ER for proper examination and management. Otherwise you can fix an appointment with an ENT surgeon for treatment. Doing warm saline gargles and steam inhalation will provide you a symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.