Cough with phlegm, vomiting phlegm, Cure?

hi, i need help to know how to cure cough for my 3-4 months year old baby.. she's been having this cough with phlegm for almost a month.. whens she drink milk n keeps coughing, at times she vomited some phlegms which makes her better n breath without noice.. but the cough returns again the next day or after few hours... whats the best thing to do to cure her bad cough.. thank you...
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Chronic cough with phelgm in a small child of 3-4 months is usually due to chest infection. Pneumonitis and tonsillitis needs to be ruled out. If there is associated fever then antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment.

She needs a detailed examination by her pediatrician to find out the cause of infection and then needs antibiotics to be prescribed.

Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, follow these measures-

1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2.Continue exclusive breast feeding on as and when required basis.
3. Whenever symptoms appear,give her steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Keep the child in your lap and cover yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
4. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
5.Use normal saline nasal drops for decongestion which encourages drainage.
6.Use a humidifier in her room.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Cough with phlegm, vomiting phlegm, Cure? 1 hour later
thank you so much for you reply and information.. can i get to know how this kind of infection can happen... and whats this pneumonitis and tonsilitis, is it harmful for babies at this age.. any solutions to it?? do you think i shoud ask my dr here to do a checkings like blood test or xrays to her coz till today he's just giving n changing d medicines which still have no effect... thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Pneumonitis is infection of lungs and tonsillitis is infection of throat.

A detailed clinical examination will help in diagnosis.

Chest X-ray will also help. Antibiotics are given orally for treatment.

You can ask your physician to rule out these causes.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Sorry to ask you another question dr... Is this things dangerous? N is antibiotics actually allowed for babies of is ages?? Do you have any recommendations of a good dr for cough n lungs here in jakarta indonesia whom i cn go to... Thanx once again.. Really appreciate our help.....
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Infections are not very XXXXXXX and are routinely treated. Antibiotics are given for infants if there is need.

Any good pediatrician can treat your doctor.

I am sorry I have no idea about Pediatrician in Indonesia.

Wish you and your baby a good health.