Cough, runny nose, headache, fever. Allergy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last week, both my son and I had a virus, temp of 99 and cough and runny nose. Went away, but have a temp of 99 again, can it be allergies, still have a bit of a cough and a headache.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 51 minutes later

Do you or your son have joint pains

It appear that you could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, running nose, cough.

Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

You and your son can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep well hydrated with plenty if warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

For running nose you may apply 2 drops of saline nasal drops to each nostril twice a day for relief.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can take cough suppressants if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor. Avoid taking pain killers as much as possible as sometimes it can cause bleeding problems in certain kinds of viral fever.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Cough, runny nose, headache, fever. Allergy? 2 hours later
No we do not have joint pain. So 99 is not a fever?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Fever is only if the core body temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more.

Since there are no joint pains, it could be a case of a mild flu or Doctor.