Cough, rash on legs, chest, ear pain. Causes and treatment ?

ENT Specialist
My 14 year old son has had a cough for 5 days, developed a rash on his legs and chest and woke up with an ear ache. It is Sunday and our Dr. is not in. My son is never sick.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Dont worry for this condition, now let me tell you some details about this condition.

Fever is usually preceded by common cold, and this leads to increased secretion of mucin, and it blocks the eustachian tube, which connects the middle ear to pharynx and this blockage is responsible for earache, that is the case of your son.

Secondly, the rashes may be due to some allergic reaction, secondary to pyrexia.

Now what you will have to do---

1- Give him plenty of fluids.

2- give him an antibiotic course like amoxycillin.

3- a nasal decongestant ( paediatric ) is a must.

4- an oral decongestant and anti inflammatory drug.

5- vitamin and mineral supplements.

6- Steam inhalation.

If fever persists, than start with cold sponging. Please give all these medications under supervision of your physician.

Dont worry he will be all rite in next 5-7 days.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups if any.