Ask a Dentist   »  

Cough, joint pain. History of hypertension, hypothyroidism, anemia. Chest X-ray, blood report shows high ESR, CRP. Causes for symptoms?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have Hyper tension since last thirteen years, Hypo thyroidism since 8 years and anemia from last eight years. Taking medicines such as Envas 2.5 mg and Amlodiphine 2.5 Mg for HT , Altroxin 0.5 mg for Hypo thyroidism and Iron supplements for anemia.
Recently during a routine blood test My ESR level was found to be 150 and 125 when the test was repeated after 10 days.
CRP level is 73.9
Serum Iron: - 15
Electrophoresis: - within Normal level
ACE: - 22
Sputum: - AFB Negative XXXXXXX and DS DNA: - Negative
Chest X ray: - Clear and normal
I also have a cough only when talking .Generally I am feeling weak, stiff joints in the morning and is concerned about my condition.
Requests advise for meeting the right doctor and any hind regarding the type of illness I have.
Weight:- 70 Kgs
Height:- 150 Cm
Allergic bronchitis
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Your blood reports suggest,
1. A very high ESR (normally less than 10)
2. High CRP (normally less than 6)
3. A very low serum iron (normally more than 60)

Rest of the reports are normal.

According to your symptoms of weakness and joint pain, the possibilities can be tuberculosis, rheumatoid arthritis, anaemia, systemic lupus erythematosis, fibromyalgia, or a malignancy.

But your blood tests rule out the others except rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia which need further evaluation by rheumatologist and some tests like RA factor, serum CCP, ultrasound etc.

Also in middle aged females, rheumatoid arthritis is most likely to cause morning stiffness and joint pains. Just cough and weakness would favour tuberculosis but in your case it is more likely allergic since reports are normal.

So I would advise you to consult a rheumatologist and confirm the diagnosis. You will also need an evaluation to pinpoint the cause of anaemia in your case.

Hope I have answered your query.