Cough and sneeze leads to stinging pain in chest and radiates to head. Do I need medical attention?

When I cough I get a stinging pain in my chest. It radiates to my head. My cough at first was not productive but now it is, but the pain in my chest when i cough is unbearable. Prior to this I have had head pain when i cough, when i laugh, when i bend over, when i sneeze, but prior to that i have never had headaches. other than that my medical history is normal. i drink moderately and do not smoke. what do i have and do i need to seek medical attention? I visited my grandmother in the hospital 2 weeks ago and then again last week. could i have got this from the hospital or could i have spread it to people in the hospital?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 3 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Pain in the chest following cough is normal. If you have dry cough you can consider taking pharyngeal demulcents. For cough with expectoration it is advisable to take expectorants / mucolytic syrup. These are available as over the counter medication.

Your symptoms are suggestive either of sinusitis, is infection of air spaces present in the facial bones or Both of the infection are commonly due to virus and only require symptomatic treatment.

I advice you for steam inhalation at least 4 to 5 times day. You can put liquid Karval plus in the water used for inhalation for increased effectiveness. Salt water gargling will be helpful. Treatments such as pain and fever medications, decongestants will also be considered.

If it persists more than 5 to 6 days i advice you to see ENT specialist.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer