Cough and nasal congestion. What to take? Amoxicillin or Ampicillin orClindamycin or Erythromycin?

Hi Dr. Raichle, it's me again. How are you? I have had a really bad cold since Thursday of last week, but it has gotten worse in terms of my cough and nasal congestion. I am coughing up a lot of phlegm now and it seems the infection has gone to my lungs. I read below that these antibiotics are safe for pregnancy. Which one should I ask my doctor to prescribe to me and which one is the most effective? I am not sure if this is becoming some sort of lung problem...Also, I am not even sure if I should go to my obgyn or GP or who would know best what to give me.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the followup.

First, the most common treatment for 'community acquired' pneumonia is azithromycin (similar to erythromycin) and is safe during pregnancy. It is usually prescribed as a Z-pack. It is very commonly prescribed during pregnancy.

Second, perhaps your doctor would prescribe this over the phone, but it would be BETTER care to go in and be seen and have them listen to your lungs.

In general, everything on the list is used commonly during pregnancy except for Erythromycin, mainly because it is more upsetting to your stomach.

I hope that this helps!!
Follow-up: Cough and nasal congestion. What to take? Amoxicillin or Ampicillin orClindamycin or Erythromycin? 30 hours later
Thank you very much doctor Raichle, my doctor just gave me erythromycin today, even though I asked for the azithromycin... but anyways, hopefully this one works too. Thanks again.

Dr. Raichle, I just want to ask one more thing. I started taking the erythromycin yesterday but now I am not sure, can I take it together with the sudafed, the benylin DM syrop and the Halls? The sudafed is pills. I was not sure if I can take these with the antibiotic. My congestion is not clearing up...
Also, how long can I take the sudafed for? I started it last week Friday and it's wednesday now.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 hours later
First, in answer to your first question- yes you can take all of the medications that you listed at the same time. They all work differently and there should be no interactions between them.

As far as the sudafed, I usually tell patients that I am okay with taking it as needed for a short period of time- I would say that of all the meds you are taking, this is the one I would consider stopping, especially if it is not really working.

Sudafed is a vasoconstrictor and theoretically can effect blood flow at the placenta. Please ask if there are any additional questions!!
Follow-up: Cough and nasal congestion. What to take? Amoxicillin or Ampicillin orClindamycin or Erythromycin? 2 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor, I am taking the saline drops for nasal decongestant but they are not really helping. I want to stop the sudafed, my doctor recommended tylenol cold but it also seems to constrict blood flow. I read the dristan nasal spray also constricts blood flow, even though I took it twice... so is there any other nasal decongestant that is ok? Thanks
Benadryl can be used- it is an alternative to drying out your airways. This is common in Pediatric patients because they like to stay away from sudafed. It does have the side effect of making you very drowsy. A dose of 25-50mg is typical for adults.