Cough and breathlessness. Open lung biopsy turned to pneumonia. CT scan showed glass opacification. Was on steroids. Suggest?

Hello Dr,
I have been suffering from persistent cough and breathlessness, i had gone through an open lung biposy in mumbai wherein the results turned out to be chronic hypersensitivity pneumonia. Ct Scan showed some observations of diffuse ground glass opacifiction with fine sub nodular opacities in both the lungs, i was put on steroids for two years and since the last one year i was off from mediciation however since the last 2 months i have noticed that im going back to square 1 and facing the same issues. I have been put back on steroids but i would like to know if there is any other treatments that can be done as i am not happy taking steroids considering im only 25years. Plz help me with a solution or recommend me some doctor or hospital to get this treated. I would be highly obliged.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 4 minutes later
Greetings friend,

Hypersensitivity pneumonia is treated by cutting down on the inflammation, and steroids are really the only proven mainstay of treatment. I understand your concern about being on steroids, but you will not be on them for long and they really are essential to recovering from this illness. There are some other immunomodulatory drugs that can be used for this condition, however they are extremely expensive and difficult to get and did not have the safety profile that steroids do. I would recommend continuing the steroids.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
Have a good day.