Cough after I quit smoking. Are they related?

I quit smoking about 10 weeks ago. I initially had a mild cough that lasted a week or so after I quit. About three weeks ago, I started having a very congested cough producing a lot of phlem in the morning. The coughing dissipates as the day goes on. I am in good shape; I just ran a half marathon last weekend. Is this cough still related to quitting smoking or should I see a doctor?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your sputum examined for tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for for your query. Congratulations for quitting continue it willfully in future. For the night whatever the secretion of airways is there, it accumulates and the amount of phlegm increases in the morning. If you are feeling febrile, or if the cough is yellowish in colour, it is the sign of seated infection and you may need a course of antibiotic. Quitting smoking do not exacerbate the coughing usually helps that. If it is mucoid/whitish you may just try a cough expectorant syrup.... And lastly as per the protocol, since your cough lasted for more than two weeks , get your phlegm/sputum examine for tuberculosis..... Best wishes