Correct consumption of sucralose and can it cause tachycardia ?

Hi. I have heard that consuming sucralose (artificial sweetners) can cause tachycardia in the long run. Also, there is a general opinion that one can consume a XXXXXXX of 6 tabs of sucralose every day. Is this correct?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Sucralose is best defined as a zero-calorie sugar substitute, which is mostly used as an artificial sweetener. Its use is associated with side effects like gastrointestinal problems, such as bloating, nausea and diarrhea, breathing difficulties, wheezing, skin allergy, increased cravings for sweets, etc.
Other systemic problems associated with its consumptions include runny nose, cough, increased palpitations of the heart, pain in the chest muscle and itchy eyes, anxiety, and mood swings. Rarely too much consumption also causes numbness or tingling sensation in the lips, tongue, mouth, hands and fingers.

You can safely consume 5-7 tablets per day, if there are no side effects manifested in your case.
It is better to take your tea etc without sugar rather than adding sucralose to them.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Correct consumption of sucralose and can it cause tachycardia ? 21 hours later
thanks Doctor for the reply. The brief case history that I provided was for my father. He is 79 yrs old and has been adding Sugar Free tabs to his tea and other food items. Although his intake has been within 5-7 tabs per day, he has been recently diagnosed with tachycardia. Would it therefore be better for him to avoid using Sugar Free tabs?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Tachycardia and palpitation might be due to the sugar free tablets he is taking.

It is best to avoid these and see if he improves.

Wishing you an early recovery.