Coronary artery disease,lung cancer remission,hypothyroidism,plavix,metroprolol

I am taking Plavix and aspirin +metoprolol for coronry arteries disease and I have a problem with my thyroide (hypothyroidism) may I take aswaganda without side effects I am 71 years old and weight 140Lb I am also a lung cancer in remission
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 41 minutes later

Aswagandha is a plant and root and berry are used to make medicine. Given your history of thyroid disease, coronary artery disease and cancer remission, it is strictly advisable to take this drug only under an ayurvedic specialist’s consultation and prescription.

Liquid preparations made by this product may include sugar and alcohol. Caution is recommended if individual have diabetes, alcohol dependence or liver disease. If taken in excess, it can cause liver failure. Also it can stimulate the thyroid and lead to thyrotoxicosis in some people. Hence if you are already having hypothyroidism then it is advisable not to take this drug unless the dose is monitored by a qualified ayurvedic specialist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.