Corners of mouth have become irritated and have lines in spot. Wear dentures and never have them relined

Oncologist, Surgical
The corners of my mouth have become irritated and I have downward lines in these spots. I wear dentures and have never had them relined. Could that be the cause?

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be leukoplakia; dentures can be a cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Irritation can be an early sign of cancer in a patient who has dentures, as they can lead to chronic irritation. Sometimes cancer starts as a whitish patch (leukoplakia) and it also presents as irritation.
You should schedule an appointment with a surgeon as soon as possible and have this condition evaluated. You might require a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
Even if it turns out to be normal, it is good to visit your dentist and have the dentures re-adjusted.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.