Corn in the right thumb in a child. Is it life-threathing and affects genitals?

My friend consulted a doctor in Kolkata, India for his 7 year old daughter's corn in her right thumb. Doctor has given the opinion that this can be XXXXXXX and life-threatening and can affect genitals. We are worried. Please help.
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 16 hours later

Corn is a benign condition. It is not life threatening and does not affect genitals.

It can be easily treated and there is nothing to worry.

Application of salactin lotion once at night only on the corn for 10 days will resolve it. It should be kept covered with a bandage after the application.

Hope this helps.

Please do let me know if I can address any other concern that you may have.

Follow-up: Corn in the right thumb in a child. Is it life-threathing and affects genitals? 41 minutes later
Thanks alot, doctor. It is a great relief.

I need your reassurance that it will not spread to genitals. Also can you suggest a dermatologist in Howrah/Kolkata if my friend wants to take the patient for examination once again.

Thanks again, doctor. Just waiting for your reply to this query.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 9 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Let me assure you, it will not spread to the genitals.

Corns do not spread to the genitals and in fact corn is not contagious and does not spread at all.

It will be better to go to a skin institute for another examination. You can look up a good skin institute name. If you face any difficulty in getting a good dermatologist perhaps XXXXXXX customer support team might be able to help you. I suggest this because I do not have any personal reference.

Alternatively you may search for doctors/specialist from XXXXXXX data base through this link:
A few doctors have user written reviews that might guide you.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.
If all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.