Copper IUD removed due to pain and started heavy bleeding. Missing periods. PG test negative. Any suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi there,

I had a copper IUD put in on XXXXXXX 26, which is when I had my last period. Due to extreme pain I went sent to Emerge by the health clinic to have it removed that Friday (June 29). I had a lot of bleeding from the time of insertion until about 3 days after removal. It is now July 30th and my period was due on July 24. I still have not got it but I did take a first response pregnancy test on the first day of my missed period, as well as over 2 weeks since I had had sex. I am 19 and I am sexual active but I do use a condom. I am not on birth control yet.

I am worried that I am pregnant or stress is just causing my period to be late. I have sore breasts and cramps but nothing else besides that. What do you suggest. I also recently started taking concerta
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
hi,

the possible causes for your delayed periods are,

-as you had copper IUD for 3 days and bleeding for 3 days after removal, that might be disturbed your endometrial growth causing delay in periods,

-though very minimal but the chance of pregnancy cannot be completely excluded as you had IUD for only 3 days and condoms are having some failure rate,

though concerta is known you cause many side effects but menstrual irregularities as such are not linked with it,

as some urine pregnancy test kits are less sensitive during early pregnancy better to go for blood test for pregnancy which will rule out the possibility,
your symptoms could be because of premenstrual syndrome, so you may get periods soon,
if the test comes negative and you do not get periods within next week better visit gynecologist once and get investigated for other causes like hormonal imbalance etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Copper IUD removed due to pain and started heavy bleeding. Missing periods. PG test negative. Any suggestion? 3 hours later
Thank you so much, that does make sense.

I am really wanting to start on birth control, however I would like to make sure i am not pregnant before I do so. My period is now a week late, so If i took a good quality pregnancy test, first thing in the morning would it be fairly accurate? If not do you suggest I go for a blood test?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later
hi,

as you crossed expected date of periods one week before usually the urine test can give correct result but sometimes concentrated urine, reading time can affect the result, so to avoid these better to go for blood test.
you can consult gynecologist, go for blood test, if comes negative on that visit itself you can take prescription of birth control.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.