Coolness on the hands and legs, less strength. Suggestion and remedy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hi. my wife is facing problem. She feels cool on her right side hand and leg.Also she feels less strength in right hand ,she cant lift utensiles. Please suggest what to do.

Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The features you have described are suggestive of neurovascular compromise. This means the impulses along the nerves and blood supply to the arm are not properly meeting the works done by the arm.

This can be due to cervical rib, prolapsed intervertebral disc or severe cervical spondylosis. A series of investigations can be ordered after initial clinical evaluation. If on clinical evaluation of your wife by your specialist it is found that there is significant neurological deficit then obviously surgery is indicated. However everything depends upon the diagnosis. If it is cervical rib or prolapsed disc then surgery would be a option. But if it is cervical spondylosis then conservative treatment is the best option.

I hope this answers your doubt.

With regards
Follow-up: Coolness on the hands and legs, less strength. Suggestion and remedy? 19 hours later
Yes Doctor, i agree with you. Her back side of the neck is always feel hard i mean, not soft what normal people has.What is conservative treatment ? please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 minutes later
The hardness is due to severe muscle spasm. She would need a complete evaluation to find out the nature of the problem. She definitely needs to see an orthopedic surgeon so that the exact problem can be determined.
Conservative treatment for such problems comprises of
1. Physiotherapy. (cervical traction and short wave diathermy sessions.)
2. Course of pain killers
3. Course of muscle relaxants
4. Proper sleeping posture that is using a firm but flat pillow. Avoid balloon like pillows as they will aggravate the spasm.
5. Once the component of spasm is reduced then muscle strengthening exercises for the neck as advised by the physiotherapist.
I hope this information provides you with a guideline for your wife's ailment.
You can contact me if you have any more doubts.
With regards