Controlled diabetes, irregular periods, miscarriage previously, spotting with clots. Pregnancy ?

Hi, I'm 29 5'4 143 lbs. I've had controled diabetes for 14 yrs but I have very irregular periods. I had a miscarriage 3 years ago. Two weeks ago I had a period after not having one for 3 months. The bleeding lasted for 6 days. The day after my period ended, I had sex and he came inside me. 4 days after that I started spotting with a iron/metal like odor, its been three days. Sometimes the spotting is accompanied with small clots. Exept for these symptoms, I feel fine. Although its probably too early to tell, I took a pregnancy test just to see the result. It was negative. Any idea what this could mean?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Your symptoms suggests something like Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

Have you undergone investigations like ultrasound for endometrial thickness ?

Diabetes is one of the maternal causes for habitual abortions.

Ovaries should also be examined for any cysts like polycystic ovarian disease which can also cause irregular menstrual flow.

Insulin resistance is developed which is to be treated with cyproterone acetate and metformin combinations.

Which drug are you taking for the management of diabetes ?

Are you on insulin as you are very young and taking treatment for the past 14 years.

As far as conception is concerned , it can not happen on the day your periods ended as there will be no ovulation on that day.

Metal and iron like odour means dark altered blood means clots or excessive bleeding.

In my opinion you need investigations like hormonal assay including FSH, LH, Prolactin, testosterone etc as well as thyroid profile plus an ultrasound or may be an endometrial biopsy if required.

Meanwhile do not worry about excessive bleeding, take iron supplements.

It would be better if you could answer me these queries, I will be able to suggest you better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Controlled diabetes, irregular periods, miscarriage previously, spotting with clots. Pregnancy ? 8 hours later
I have most of the symptoms of PCOS. I have excessive hair growing on the side of my face, chin and neck. As mentioned I have irregular periods (always have) and I also have thinning hair around the edges of my hair line. I asked my Dr about this but I was brushed off and no hormonal tests were given, probably because I made my own diagnoses.
I have type II diabtes and for the past 5 years I have been on levemir and Novolog. My last A1c test was in April, it was 6.7.
The only ultrasound I've had, was when I miscarried (3 years ago), they were checking to see if the embryo was still present in my uterus. They didnt mention if they noticed anything else. I was given the ultrasound vaginally.
I did a lot of reading on the internet and there were stories on woman getting pregnant on the last day of there periods and the day after. I thought this wasnt possible or normal, but I dont consider that I have "normal" health and I just wanted to be sure.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

As you have mentioned that you had amenorrhoea means absent menstruation for 3 months and you didn't do pregnancy test and you were having menstruation which lasted for 6 days and you passed clots again after 4 days so it can be an incomplete abortion or missed abortion.

Regarding getting pregnant on the last day of the period in your case is very low as it happens when the cycles are very short and one ovulates very early, say on 10th day considering sperm's life for 5 days.

So it is better to go for an ultrasound to see the ovaries. If you are having excessive hair growth and PCOD, then gynecologist is going to start you on cyproterone acetate and ethinyl oestradiol combinations or dosperinone, ovacare forte etc.

And its good to know that your blood sugar levels are under control and continue maintaining.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.