Contracting and blocking air flow after eating, walking and sleeping. Reason?

i feel like something is contracting and blocking the proper air flow after eating or while walking and sleeping
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

You mention that you are feeling something is contracting and blocking the airflow while eating, walking and sleeping.

There are situations when the airway can contract and obstruct the airflow. Such pain can also occur if there s intermittent contractions of the Esophagus(Food Pipe).

You have got examined yourself and have got an x XXXXXXX which is normal. Its unlikely that you have any lung related problem.

Your problem can be related to
1. Anxiety - It can lead to chest tightness and pain. It can also lead to breathlessness.
2. Esophageal Spasm - In this condition, food pipe goes into sustained contraction which leads to pain in the midline chest and back. The best way to diagnose this is by doing a "Esophageal Manometry".

Please do not worry a lot as this can affect your symptoms. You have got many investigations which were not required considering your age and with symptoms which you had.

So you can consider getting Esophageal Manometry. If this is also normal then it likely related to Anxiety and Stress.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran.
Follow-up: Contracting and blocking air flow after eating, walking and sleeping. Reason? 22 hours later
Thanks for providing me the detailed information. I really appreciate you prompt help! I just want to confirm that i do not have any problem in swallowing the food from my throat. It gets into my stomach very well with no pain in throat area or feeling of foodstuck. I have observed that when i get really excited about anything or curious when being aggrevated i start getting this problem of stretching in a foodpipe area or stretchness/tightness in a chest area. At the same instance i get feeling of shortness of breath; might be cause of overbreathing or trying to breath hard to fill the lungs/chest part. Once i get relaxed or get into some likely work everthing comes back to normal for a while.
I always tend to be in hurrniness for anything that i have to accomplish; whether in terms of my own business or in terms of anything to do while being with freinds.lled. However i am trying to get it controlled. I used to be absolutely fine earlier but once i started getting this feeling; its still there with me. I also thought of some cardio problem but it came out as a myth when i consulted the local physician. They checked heart rate and all for that. I dont know whether there could be any further analysis i should go with or is it something else.
I do not smoke and drink at not have any cough or fever happening. However im bit slim but that is since starting. I really do no want to got with any anxiety medicine cause if its there then i need some natural way to control it.

Today when i had breakfast in morning; everthing was ok with no pain; but can feel the food going downwards through my foodpipe. But eventually after sometime i start feeling that its still going downwards slowly; so u had a glass of water and feeling was bit ok. Eventually i started feeling lower back pinching with slight pain like its a part of my lower fodpipe food stuck pain going backwards. It went away after few minutes and if eat further; its not there at all. I also find my tongue with whitish layer in the morning and dryness feeling in my inner area. I dnt know if that gives any help.
When i sleep everything seems very much normal and enjoy the sound sleep. Things are fine when i wake up but start getting into picture once i live the day.
My most of the day goes in office sitting work or sitting while driving a car; i was thinking if i should plan out for gym which could in turn change the lifestyle.
I want to know whether joining a gym should not be a wrong decision while going through with this scenario at the moment.

Going through your symptoms, I am convinced that all your symptoms are mainly related to your anxiety and stress.
None of your symptoms are related any medical disease.

I suggest you should try to get your anxiety under control

Meditation will help.
Exercise and Gym will certainly help you. Infact its the best way to get over stress and anxiety. You can do it even now. There will not be any problem with respect to your symptoms.

I reassure you that you do not have any medical illness.
Be calm and try to get over it..

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran