Contracting HIV through oral sex

I have a two-part question.

Here's the back ground: Two weeks I had protected sex with this girl that I met at the club. During our evening, I went down on her and performed cunnilingus. At this time I had a cut on my lip, I am not sure that if it was scabbed over or if it was still open . I get these cuts because I bight my lip at night when I sleep and at the same time I had a canker sore inside my bottom lip underneath my gum line and I am not sure if it was scabbed over.
She also went down on me and sucked my scrotum (balls sack) I had a scratch down there from scratching and I am not sure if the scratch was scabbed over.

My questions are as follows:

1. If she is HIV + could of I contracted HIV when I went down on her either via the cut on my lip or the canker sore in my mouth?

2. If she is HIV + could of I contracted HIV when she went down on me if my scratch wasn't scabbed over.

I am really nervous now, since I am in a foreign country. I asked her all the questions if she was a sex worker (she said no) and if she has aids ( she said no) and I asked her about her past sex life, she said she got tested two months ago but she's been in this country for 3 months, but I asked if she had HIV and (she said, what is that?). I asked her to take a and aids test on 4-1-2011, which was saturday but I am not sure if she did, she said yes she did but still I am not sure. I asked her for paperwork with the results but I am not sure if they give that out. So those are my questions any assistance is greatly valued.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later

The answer to both of your questions is YES.

It is possible for a person to become infected with HIV through performing or receiving oral sex with a person infected with HIV.

The risk of HIV transmission when either of the partner is infected, increases with the presence of open cuts, sores, in the mouth, presence of other STDs.

If the girl had HIV, and she performed oral sex on you, HIV in blood from her mouth (in case she has cuts and sores in the mouth) may enter your body through lining of the urethra (Penis),or through the open unhealed cuts on the scrotum.

If the girl had HIV, and you performed cunningulus on her, her vaginal fluid may contain the virus, and cells lining your oral cavity (with cuts and sores) may allow HIV to enter your body.

Transmission of Infection via oral sex with a partner can be prevented by - using a latex barrier. Ex. a condom (latex or polyurethane) on the penis; or a latex barrier between the mouth and the vagina (a natural rubber latex sheet, dental dam, or a cut-open condom that makes a square or a plastic food wrap.

Risk of HIV infection is determined by factors including sexual habits, occupational exposure (health care professionals), Drug abuse, Sex workers, etc.
The lack of such high risk factors puts a person at a low risk of infection.

For people who think they may have been exposed to HIV, having a test and receiving a negative result (which means they are not infected with HIV), can put their mind at rest.

A person after exposure to HIV can get tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for HIV antibody test. 90% of normal individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test is 99.9%.

To relieve yoru anxiety and for a definitive diagnosis, you might consider getting screened with HIV test. This will help you get over the past exposure and move on ahead in your life.

If you still have doubts, you might consult with your doctor who can provide reassurance and clear any doubts that you have.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Contracting HIV through oral sex 5 hours later

It says inside the oral cavity. If I had a cut on my lip and wasn't sure if it was scabbed over does that count as oral cavity?

I thought that saliva in ones mouth kills HIV?

Is vaginal secretion near the cervix or is it the glands that providing lubrication where HIV might live?

Once a cut stops bleeding I thought that, the platelets begin a wall to protect the cut.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later

Yes, any open cuts on the lip would also count as a risk to infection. The lips form the part of the oral cavity.

Saliva does not kill the HIV virus, but gastric acid in the stomach does kill the viruses.

Vaginal secretions are produced by the mucus glands within the wall of the vagina and the fluid functions to lubricate the vagina during sexual activity. This fluid is free flowing and does contain HIV in infected individuals.

The cuts and sores must be open (open wounds to be specific), so that infection can spread from person to person.

In case of closed wounds with a scab, the chances of infection would be considerably lesser, but still present.

I hope this might clear some of your doubts.