Contracted slight case of itchy hives around shoulders and chest. Suggest?

I contracted a slight case heives. around my shoulders and chest. The only problem is thay itch bad. What can I get from the drug store to calsm down the itch
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cetrizine with democalm lotion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Heives are known as urticarial rash.

They can occur due to allergies to foods,drugs,infections in body etc.Insect bites can also lead to hives and itching.In certain cases cause can not be determined.

Treatment for hives is antihistaminincs.There are many antihistaminics available on counters.

In your case i will advise you to take cetrizine .It is available as a brand name zyrtec.Take this at night time for 5 days.

Apply a soothing lotion like democalm over the affected area two to three times daily.

This will mostly treat your hives,but if it does not respond to zyrtec then you need to take oral steroids.It will be better to consult your doctor before taking steroid.

Hope this will help you.Take care.