Contracted conjunctivitis, eye is red and itchy.

I seem to have contracted conjuctivitis. I have a red and itchy (right) eye. Please let me know what to do
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Do you hear or witnessed about a epidemic of conjunctivitis in your locality? If so there is high chance of your contracting as this is a good season for it.
Itchy red eye is most commonly seen due to conjunctivitis- inflammation of the conjunctiva. Other causes may be a foreign body in the eye or inflammation of the cornea.
Conjunctivitis can be due to viral infection, bacterial infection or allergic in origin. The diagnosis is made only after clinical examination. In severe cases conjunctival swab culture is done for diagnosis.
For all the three causes, the treatment is different.
I suggest you to get an appointment from your EYE surgeon as soon as possible to know the nature of the infection. Earlier the diagnosis, better will be the treatment.
Till then for symptomatic relief,
1. Use dark glasses to avoid light sensitivity.
2. Clean your for any discharge using clean water repeatedly.
3. Avoid touch of the eye secretions with any other family member as it is usually contagious.
Early and vigorous treatment with antibiotic drops and antiinflammatory drops is needed for adequate relief.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.