Ask a Urologist   »  

Continuous urge to urinate. Taken alfoo tab. Switched to rapilif. Urine culture report normal. Father treated with BPH. Have i acquired BPH?

I have been having small problem , I have strong continuous urge to pass urine, once I do so the sensation in URETHA continue to persist and if i try to control pain occurs. I have shown to a doctor He has suggested me to take ALFOO 10 Mg for 7 days. My father has recently been treated for BPH, My question is How long should I take ALfoo? will it have a long term effect? Have I become a BPH patient My self. My age is 39+. I took Alfoo for 15 days uptil 5 days back and now I have switched to rapilif 8 mg once a day... But no respite. Sensation is continuous in urethra speciall when I pass urine. my Urine culture report is normal. UROFLOWMETERY was also normal.Please help
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

I understand your query and concern.
Burning in the urine passage can be due to several causes.
Microscopic changes in the prostate start by the age of 40 yrs according to science.
The medicine prescribed for you will work if urine flow is less or if there is inflammation in the prostate.
The doctor would have suspected the latter in you as you are little young for BPH.
You may also have what is called overactive bladder and if there is not much relief with the medicine, the doctor might consider adding another medicine for the same.
The inflammation in the prostate could be due to infection also, which may require a course of antibiotics, which your urologist will be familiar with.

Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for any further queries.
Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan.

Follow-up: Continuous urge to urinate. Taken alfoo tab. Switched to rapilif. Urine culture report normal. Father treated with BPH. Have i acquired BPH? 24 hours later
1) After How long shall I should consider changing medicine , if required?
2) Rapilif 8 is having side effect I am unable to ejaculate but reaching orgasm? Today I switched back to Alfoo 10 mg, is it okay.
3) Shall I continue to take Fianx 1 mg for hair fall?
4) Is it a side effect of Gabapin medicine i was taking earlier

Thanks , awaiting early response
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

Answers for

1. Atleast one month.
2. Ejaculation is a problem with most these type of medicines. If alfoo is ok, pls continue.
3. Probably yes. If there is family history of prostate cancer, pls get ur serum PSA checked.
4. Unlikely.