Continuous stomach pain and cannot digest anything. Due to cold weather?

Critical Care Specialist
I'm having slight continuous stomach pain from last 10-12 days and I can not digest anything. A friend of mine said its due to Cold weather. Can anyone help me in this regard?
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later

Cold weather cannot cause continuous pain in your stomach. In fact cold weather cannot cause stomach pain at all.

What probably you are having is gastritis (inflammation of the stomach)

The most common cause of gastritis is an infection of stomach by H. Pylori bacteria.

The other causes of gastritis include cigarette smoking, spicy food, and NSAIDS (pain killer).
I would suggest you to consult a nearby physician who will evaluate you for your stomach pain.

You may need upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Treatment for gastritis is very simple. You may need antacids and proton pump blocking drugs like pantoprazole.

Please follow a healthy lifestyle with bland food, no smoking and daily exercise.

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq
Follow-up: Continuous stomach pain and cannot digest anything. Due to cold weather? 47 minutes later

Thanks for your response. I'm travelling at present and due to a very hectic schedule, I won't be able to visit a consultant immediately.
As mentioned by you regarding gastritis, I believe I may be having this due to little smoking, spicy food etc.
Also, while searching more on that, I could find few more symptoms like Loss of appetite, Nausea and feel like vomiting and Pain in the upper part of the belly or abdomen, which I have been experiencing at times.
I've not taken any pain killers and there are no cases for Black or tarry stools or vomiting blood.
As an immediate reliever, I plan to take Antacids, no smoking & no spicy food for coming days.
Is there any other light medicine or syrup which I can consider. I will be reaching back India after 15th XXXXXXX and post that only will be able to visit any physician. Please suggest.

Hello thanks for follow up.

Nausea,vomiting,loss of appetite and pain abdomen all are symptoms of gastritis.Black tarry stool or blood or blood with vomiting usually occur when there is ulcer in stomach or gastritis is very severe. I do not think that you have such a severe gastritis.

It is good that you are avoiding spicy food and smoking. Along with antacid you can take Ranitidine which is H2 blocker and freely available all over world as Zintac. I think with these preventive and curative measures you can manage your gastritis till you are back home.

Hope this answers your question.
If you don't have any more queries, please close the discussion and write a review.

Get well soon
Dr Sadiq.