Continuous sneezing during the day. Help

ENT Specialist
Hello Sir/madam,

I have problem of continues sneezing. Daily the movement I woke-up in the morning I'll get at least 5-10 sneezes continuously. After that during the day, whenever I got a sneeze, it will not be one. I'll get at least 3-4 sneezes (this happenes atleast 4-5 times during the day).
Could you please help me on this..!!

Thank You, XXXXXXX Murthy
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

You are suffering from Allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

My advice to you:
1. To use saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays.
2. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine or loratidine.
3. Drink plenty of warm water.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon