Continuous menstrual bleeding. Taken CycleReg. Ultrasound scan normal. History of irregular periods. Causes for heavy bleeding?

hello. i am 36y/F, with one child who is 7 yrs old. I have had irregular and scanty periods for the last 1.5 years. However, for the last 12 days i have been having continous menstrual bleeding. please advise.
Additional information-
1) about 2 weeks ago, i had stomach pain, had a USG done, all was ok.
2) In November 2011, since i had not had periods for almost three months, i had taken a course of a medicine called CycleReg as advised by the gynaecologist. After which, i had periods in the 1st week of December. The next period started on 3rd January 2012, and has been continuing ever since. today, even on the 12th day, there is moderate to heavy bleeding.
3) I have not used any contraceptive pills or any other kind of contraception for the last three months.
Please advise. Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

This type of irregular and heavy cycles is called dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB). The cause is usually hormonal. It is diagnosed by ultrasound examination where one finds thickened endometrium.

Few common causes of Irregular are Anaemia
Pelvic inflammatory disease

'Cycloreg' can cause withdrawal bleeding but not as early as 3 months.

After reading your query, I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist for physical examination and relevant investigation such as blood counts and repeated ultrasound. He / she may prescribe you tranexamic acid to control bleeding.
Progesterone like norethisterone or medroxyprogesterone is next line of treatment if symptom are not controlled with tranexamic acid. And if they still persist endometrial biopsy needs to be considered.

Lastly taking iron supplements and diet XXXXXXX in iron during such episodes is beneficial to your health.

Hope this answers all your queries. I will be available to answer any other queries that you might have. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Continuous menstrual bleeding. Taken CycleReg. Ultrasound scan normal. History of irregular periods. Causes for heavy bleeding? 22 hours later
Hello Dr.
Thank you for your email.
I wish to inform that i have already had an ultrasound and no abnormality was detected. Also had a complete blood picture done and that too was normal.

Regarding transexamic acid that you have recommended, what should be the strength and dose that i should take to stop the bleeding ? Are there any side effects of this medication. usually how long will it take for the bleeding to stop once i take this medication.

request your response on these please,
thank you
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The report is showing polycystic ovaries which can cause irregular and scanty periods.

As you are having heavy periods so cause is most likely hormonal imbalance.

Tranexamic acid can be given in the form of tablets and does not have significant side effects. But as this is a prescription medicine, you need to get it prescribed from your Gynecologist after examination. It would be unethical for me to prescribe a medicine without examining a patient.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Best wishes.