Continuous light spotting with stomach cramps, 8 weeks pregnant, back ache. Is it miscarriage?

May 2013
Dear Dr.
I am about 7-8 weeks pregnant and for the past week I have had continuous light spotting and light stomach
cramps the spotting has ranged from dark brown to bright red and I have had a back ache in my lower back as well.
I thought I may be having a miscarriage but I have not begun to bleed more and nothing has gotten worse. Can you please tell me what you think may be going on and what I would do next?

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 40 minutes later
thanks for the query.

the possible causes for your spotting are,

-as gestational sac grows it will go on further invading the decidual lining(endometrial lining of pregnancy), during this because of rupture of small blood vessels minimal bleeding can occur.

-sometimes because of above cause only subchorionic hematoma occurs which will present with continuous bleeding sometimes.

-though women becomes pregnant the decidua show normal menstrual changes cyclically in some women as uterine cavity will not be completely obliterated in early pregnancy the bleeding will come out.

-in the process of starting of miscarriage.

in all these cases mild stomach pain may accompany the bleeding.

-blood supply to lower genital organs will be increased in pregnancy. so, any friction or local lesion can present with bleeding.

now what you can do is,
- visit your gynecologist and undergo ultrasound examination to find out the cause.
- with her prescription start progesterone tablets which will protect from miscarriage to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.