Continuous discharge of clear fluid from vagina. Done hysterectomy. What could be the reason?

my wife underwent Hysterctomy-fiboid on 04 August 2012. She is 49 yrs. Today she developed a continious discharge from the vegina. A clear fluid. Our Doctor is out of station. What could be the reason? what is to be done?
She is Diabetic,Rhumatic Artritis, had ahistory of abortions, Leakage of fluids during pregnancy etc
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later

Can you let me know whether or not the discharge has any kind of smell and the amount of discharge that occurred?

There are two reasons of getting post Hysterectomy clear vaginal discharge:
- First one is due to healing granulation tissues. It can continue up to six weeks & the discharge is clear not much, clear or blood mixed and odourless.
- Second one is ureterovaginal fistula. This one is a concerning complication of hysterectomy. In this case, discharge through vagina is basically urine and so has a pungent smell. It is a harmful condition and needs to be addressed at the earliest.

So let me know about the quantity of discharge and if or not an odour is present.

I shall be available to answer any other follow-ups that you may have.

Follow-up: Continuous discharge of clear fluid from vagina. Done hysterectomy. What could be the reason? 7 hours later
Thank you Doctor. The discharge is heavy and my wife has to change her pads every 30 minutes or so. She developed this only yesterday ie after21 days of the Surgeory . Yesterday night she has to get up to change the pads many times.

The discharge is completely clear and no smell and is odourless.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 4 hours later

Welcome back.

If your wife developed it after 21 days of surgery & it is copious in amount, then it is a matter of concern.
However, as discharge is odorless, it favors healing granulation tissue more than a serious concern.

However, whether this discharge is due to fistula or healing tissue can only be clearly told after local examination. Therefore, I encourage you to review with her surgeons.

Hope this was useful. I will be available for further information (if needed) once the exact cause is determined.

Best Wishes