Continuous burping. Took antacid. No heartburn, acid reflux. Reason?

For the last year I have been constantly burping when I am not laying down. I have no heartburn, acid reflux and no odor to the belching. It doesn't matter if I eat or don't eat, burping continues, sometimes hundreds and hundreds of time. I have tried every antacid on the market OTC and prescription. I tried regalin which worked for a month and now it doesn't work. Nothing works, what should I do. I am waiting for a referral to a gastroentrologist which i may receive. I cannot afford expensive testing. I am at wits end. HELP!!!!! XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to swallowed air, gastroparesis etc.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.
Burping occurs due to many different conditions like swallowed air, acid reflux disease , peptic ulcer disease, gastroparesis ( a condition in which the functioning of stomach slows down), stomach and intestinal obstruction, malabsorption conditions (in which digestion and absorption is affected).

Since you have mentioned that you do not have heartburn and that antacids are not effective, it is less likely to be due to acid reflux or peptic ulcer.

Since you had some relief with reglan, it is more likely that your symptoms may be due to gastroparesis. Blood glucose level should be tested and a gastric emptying scan may be done for confirmation.

You should also avoid gas forming food items like beans, broccoli, cabbage, carbonated drinks etc.

As mentioned above, swallowed air is one important cause. To avoid swallowing of air, try to eat slowly, chew properly while eating and if you are wearing dentures see whether it is a well fitting one. Anxiety also causes swallowing of air. You may take medications to relieve anxiety or just do simple things like meditation to relieve anxiety which in turn decreases swallowing of air.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini