Continuous bleeding at 12 weeks post partum. Prescribed with primolut. What is wrong?

Mar 2013
Hi, I'm 28 year old female. 12 weeks postpartum, normal delivery. Bleeding has not stopped. Flow is not heavy and no clots. GP prescribed Primolut N for 10 days (day 10 today) which lighted flow but did not stop bleeding. Also on XXXXXXX OCP for last 5 weeks without break (GP recommended to take two packs together) GP has prescribed 2nd course of Primolut until appointment available for pelvic ultrasound. Is it ok to continue taking primolut until then and what shall I do once OCP is finished in 5 days? Thanks
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
At 12 weeks post partum, continuous bleeding should definitely be investigated.
A thorough per vaginum and per speculum examination is recommended.
Also, I would have suggested a pelvic ultrasound as that would reveal any abnormality in the uterus / ovaries causing the non stop bleeding / spotting.
The second course of Primolut would also have been prescribed for 10 days I assume, similar to the first course, and till then you would have your appointment for the ultrasound.
So I would ask you to continue taking the OCP till you take the Primolut and have your scan, as stopping the OCP also would lead to a withdrawal bleed.
Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.