Contents come out through nose post burping after drinking or eating. Reason?

General Surgeon
I have not been diagnosed with GERD and I have seen an ENT and gastrointestinal doctor, but sometimes when I eat or even drink water, if I "burp" it comes out through my nose. Why does this happen?
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

What you are facing with is called regurgitation. Its when the food and/or fluids can get back from the stomach to esophagus and mouth without vomiting. Such symptom can be a part of GERD.
Other stomach diseases like hiatal hernia can also give such symptom. It is very common that it appears also with pregnancy.

If you are prone to depression or any other similar condition, regurgitation can be a part of "Rumination syndrome". This condition does not have any organic reason, its more due to mental problems.
Regurgitation can be also a habit for you and not a symptom of any disease.
Diet can also cause regurgitation. Drinking carbonated drinks, chewing gum, eating too fast, having fatty foods, spicy foods, lots of coffee can trigger regurgitation.

I suggest you to have stomach diagnostics first. Gastroscopy should be done. You should also try to change your diet. Avoid mentioned products. Do not lie down after a meal, last meal should be 2 hours before sleeping.
If pregnancy is possible, pregnancy test should be done.
If you may have also depression problem, you should see a specialist as well for help.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.