Consuming corex formore. Hands and legs are shaky and getting seizure. What should be done?

Psychiatrist
Question
hi i have a question for my brother he is 34 yrs if age , well build ... he is having this habit of consuming Corex formore than 5 yrs... he does not drink at home ...but goes out and does the same ..may be he is having something else also... whenever he comes home his legs and hands shake .... also he gets FIT suddenly as yesterday he got ... we dont know he promised that he will not have any drug from last 3 days ... but yesterday night he got fits but he was able to stand and was conscious ... as generaally before he never used to be in his senses.... then we gave him a liberum and mouth dissolving medicine .. he said he got this attack coz he left from 3 days...NOW we are not sure whether this attack came due to left the same or he is consuming ...today entire day he is sleeping ..we dont know what to do as he never says anything to us ...PLZ HELP ME
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your query it appear that he was drinking alcohol daily and stopped alcohol 3 days back. He had seizure because of suddenly stoppage of alcohol. In such condition patient frequently go in delirium or develop seizure episode again.

Severe alcohol withdrawal is a medical emergency. Get him admitted in a hospital and also take de addiction specialist (psychiatrist) opinion. He need urgent assessment of current medical condition, lab tests (specially for liver) and future long term management plan for de addiction.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Consuming corex formore. Hands and legs are shaky and getting seizure. What should be done? 8 minutes later
hi doc,

i dont know abt alocohol ..i told he was drinking corex... also can you tell me if his fit had come dut to non consumption in last 3 days or he is just fooling us

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

In corex withdrawal seizure does not occur. He may be taking other substance with corex. But possibility of seizure or imitation for seizure difficult to confirm here. EEG and MRI help in diagnosis of seizure disorder.

In corex withdrawal patient used to have anxiety, severe body-ache and insomnia. But withdrawals are not life threatening as in case of alcohol. It is better to admit him nearby de addiction centre.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Consuming corex formore. Hands and legs are shaky and getting seizure. What should be done? 16 days later
i have attached his report ...plz share your opinion post looking at the reports ..i hope its not so serious

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 52 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Reports appear to almost normal (except mildly raised TLC, SGPT, TGs and TSH).

There is need to reduce weight and decrease fat intake, to correct triglycerides. Also repeat these tests after one month to see the change.

Wish you good health.
Regards.