Consumed marijuana accidentally, hyperventilating, random muscles twitches. Treatment ?

Hi, I recently (2 days ago, and quite accidentally) consumed quite a large bit of pot in brownie form. I was offered some food, including some normal looking brownies from a room upstairs. I had no knowledge of what I had consumed until 2 hours later, when I started feeling strange. I have never done drugs before and never intended to. Basically, I woke up a few hours later and had a huge panic attack. I was hyperventilating, losing vision, having uncontrollable muscle spasms, trouble breathing, higher heart rate... etc. I was really scared, so I called 911. I got out of the hospital, but for that entire day I felt disconnected, and I was really twitchy and anxious. The next day has been better, but I am still twitchy and anxious, and it is starting to worry me. Random muscles twitch every second and I am starting to panic. What do I do? I am 18, 130 pounds and 5'10".
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 21 minutes later

It is sad to hear that you consumed Marijuana accidentally.The effects can vary on the amount and the way it has been consumed.Usually when consumed in food as in brownie form it takes longer to show effect and also lasts longer.

Anxiety,depression,anger,irritability,breathing problems,muscle spasms are some of the common side effects which you are experiencing.

The body twitching is yet another symptom of anxiety and typically starts when someone becomes mentally and physically fatigued.

Relax yourself and try to forget this incident.

I feel you have an acute anxiety state due to this and I would encourage you to do a few things:

1) Focus on getting a healthy night of sleep each night.

2) Eat a well balanced diet.

3) Exercise daily - extremely important in anxiety management.

4) Consider meditation exercises.

5) Surround yourself with supportive friends and family.

6)Completely avoid smoking,alcohol,carbonated beverages for few days.

Do not worry you will be completely fine.If the symptoms worsen or persist even after 5 days then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.