Consumed alcohol the very day before hysterectomy surgery. Should I have to postpone the surgery?

Mar 2013
Ok now I am panicking I have surgery for a hysterectomy tommorow and dumb me had four glasses of achol I am really anxious and not blaming any one (not even my friends who organised this get together ) will I still be able to have surgery or should I cancel.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Let me be very XXXXXXX with you - it was very careless and negligent of you to consume alcohol the very day before surgery.
That said, yes, you should call up your doctor and cancel the surgery, atleast postpone it.
Consumption of more than 3 glasses of alcohol the day before surgery puts you at the following risks -
1. Increased anesthetic complications - anesthetic and sedatives drugs will cross react with the alcohol leading to unpredictable and sometimes lethal side effects.
2. Increased risks of dehydration and prolonged recovery time from the surgery.
3. Increased chances of delayed wound healing.
Abstinence from smoking and alcohol is advisable for 3 - 8 weeks before surgery ( the earlier the better ) and for 24 hours prior to surgery, NO ALCOHOL should be ideally consumed at all.
Of course you can conceal this information and go ahead with the surgery, only putting yourself at risk.
So I would advice you to contact your doctor and postpone the surgery - it cannot be conducted tomorrow for sure, ask him / her to reschedule it at a later date, am sure any time after 24 - 48 hours is a safe bet, provided you do not drink again !
I hope this answer helped you.
Please feel free to ask for any clarifications if you wish.
Wishing you good health and good luck always.