Constipation, vomited black liquid. Have cardiovascular problems and pneumonia.

My mother is having problems with constipation. Last night she vomited a black liquid. She does not eat right. Way too many sweets, then lots of soups and very few vegetables. She is 87 and just got over pnemonia, a bit overweight and has some cardiovascular problems that have been treated (angioplasty, pace maker, statin drugs).
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Black red vomitus is a sign of bleeding in the stomach or lower regions like duodenum etc. I can see that she certainly has many risk factors - her age, blood thinner drugs, stress due to her operations, her unhealthy diet pattern.

So, ideally out of the above - as blood thinner drug is essential for her, curtailing the modifiable ones need to be done. But, first thing is reporting back to the doctor. The therapy must be a combination of modifications in her lifestyle coupled with any acid reducing drugs as necessary.

Constipation should be reviewed too, as per the cause of it. Overweight is a risk factor. I do not visualize the black vomitus as a direct consequence of constipation, unless it has been very long standing and severe. For which, endoscopy amongst other modalities exist.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.