Constipation problem, no proper fluid motions, uneasiness, heavy stomach. Suggestion?

I have a constipation problem since the last 12 months. I do not get proper fluid motions. I get proper motions only once in 2-3 days. In the time in between I feel very uneasy and heavy in the stomach. I have a normal diet consisting of :
Breakfast at 11:00 AM - Tea and either of poha/vermicilli/eggs
Lunch at 1:30 PM - 2 chappatis with subji
Dinner at 9:00 PM - Same as above.

I take non-veg - chicken and fish twice a week and I drink a lot of diet sodas. I take fruits infrequently and do not consume curds.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Constipation at such a young age can be due to lack of fibre in diet, improper food habits, stress etc. You need changes in your diet schedule and some lifestyle modification can help you lot in overcoming this problem.

Some suggestions for you:
1) Change your breakfast time as 11 is too late. Consider having oats with milk in the morning at about 8 am as they have lots of fibre in them.
2) Have six small meals in a day from which at least two should comprise of seasonal fruits.
3) Have salads with meals.
4) After getting up in the morning go for Jogging or brisk walk as it increases blood circulation.
5) Drink lots of water throughout the day. Avoid diet sodas as they are not beneficial for health. Instead opt for fresh juices.
6) Restrict smoking and alcohol.
7) In the meals add dal, curd and salads as again they have fibre which will help in easing bowel movements. You can take non veg and fish.
8) Have adequate sleep and avoid stress.

I hope if you do some required modifications it will definitely help you in constipation and will also relieve you of heaviness and uneasiness in stomach.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: Constipation problem, no proper fluid motions, uneasiness, heavy stomach. Suggestion? 2 hours later
Is there any medication you can prescribe me for quick relief?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 16 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

You can take natural fibre supplement as "Naturolax" 1 tbsp in a glass of water at bed time.It will help in passing motions the next day but kindly do not make it as a habit as long term constipation problem can later lead to piles .

So it is advisable to do some lifestyle changes and once in a while you can take this supplement for passing motions.

Hope this helps!