Constipation problem and sharp pain. How can it be solved?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
poopI have a problem I can't go poop it hurts when I go and im constipated and it feels sharp coming out.

People online say that u can die from holding it in and i'm very scared and don't know what to do please help
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

You need not worry. What you heard is not exactly true.

From your description it appears to be a condition called fissure in ano. The condition causes severe pain while passing stools. As a result patient's fear to pass stools.

I would advise the following and see if symptoms improve.
1. Stool softeners like syrup cremaffin can be started preferably 2 teaspoons at night.
2. Drink plenty of water every day.
3. XXXXXXX warm Seitz bath twice a day will benefit you and relieve discomfort. Seitz bath is hot water fomentation to that part by sitting in a tub ensuring complete submergence of that part. You can add magnesium sulphate powder to the tub water to reduce the swelling and edema.
4. Diltezam cream for local application at bedtime to the anal opening will soothe the region and help you sleep well.

If these measures do not give relief then you should consult a general surgeon to get yourself examined.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

With regards