Constipation, not able to pass stool, painful.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my daughter is 2 years old, weighs 12 kgs, she has severe problem of constipation, she eats normal food, drinks milk and lives a normal life. but she is just not able to pass stool, she is in bad pain, and the stool is very hard like stone, sometimes for 1-2 days she is not able to pass stool due to teh pain and cries a lot while passing stool. the problem is in existence since 4-5 months. pls advice
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 days later
Constipation in toddlers of this age is very common, usually attributable to functional causes (which means there is no disease per se) and can be due to decreased intake of water and fibre XXXXXXX diet, increased intake of milk and faulty toilet habits like withholding stools.
There can be other pathological causes like gastrointestinal disorders and allergies but she would need to be evaluated by her paediatrician after treating the common causes.
So I would advise you consult your paediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment with stool softeners like lactulose for symptomatic relief.
Meanwhile you should try the following for relief:
1. Avoid giving your child too many foods that have a binding effect. These include bananas, cooked carrots or squash, and large quantities of dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. They can cause functional constipation so you should give them only in limited quantities (2-3) servings.

2. Increase your child's fibre intake. Give her plenty of whole wheat crackers, cereal, or bread, and fruits and vegetables such as prunes, apricots, plums, peas, beans, and broccoli.

3. To help keep your child’s stools soft, increase the amount of fluid she drinks. Water is your best choice, but a little juice or soups can also be given.

4. Increase your child’s activity, encourage her to play as activity increases blood supply to organs and improves digestion.

5. Encourage your child to use the potty as soon as she feels ready to poop. If she says she never feels ready, try having her spend 5 to 10 minutes on the toilet after breakfast and dinner. But don't force her to stay there if she doesn't want to, or she'll come to think of using the toilet as a punishment.

If the problem still persists, she might require treatment with enema or suppositories as prescribed by your treating physician.
I hope I have answered your query.