Ask a Urologist   »  

Constipation, frequent urination, swollen hands and feet, lost tolerance to alcohol. What is happening?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been experiencing some odd symptoms the last two weeks that seem to start but stop before I get into the Doctor. For about 6-8 days I was constipated and then became regular again, then I began to pee every 30-45min for about a week which led me to beleive I had a UTI, but then that stopped. I am now waking up with slightly swollen hands and feet the last 3 days. I have also lost my tolerance for alcohol. After half a drink it feels like I've had 5 and that is not normal for me.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 hours later
Hi there.

I understand your concern for the distress you may be facing in such a situation.

Kinldy do answer a few questions for me to be in a better position to help you.

Have you noticed a change in your energy levels lately ?

Have you gained weight recently ?

Do you feel sleepy or drowsy often recently ?

Have you begun to prefer warmer weather conditions than cooler one ?

Are you having any menstrual disturbance ?

Do you experience any burning sensation on passing urine, or any lower abdominal pain ?

There could be many causes for this clinical picture. Common causes include lack of moderate exercise, hormone disorders like hypothyroidism, improper diet, psychiatric illnesses etc.

Since you have mentioned that your bowel and bladder habits are frequently fluctuating it could be a result of hormone disorder like low thyroid hormone levels. Other associated features would be recent weight gain, thicker skin, preference for warmer climatic condition, excess bleeding during menses, constipation, swelling of hands and feet which can also include facial swelling under the eyes and alcohol intolerance as well/

It would be wise to consult with your Internist and get a thorough physical examination and required tests to rule out hypothyroidism. It is best if diagnosed early.

Kindly eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes a day. Avoid junk food, fatty or oily food, colas, smoking and alcohol.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Constipation, frequent urination, swollen hands and feet, lost tolerance to alcohol. What is happening? 8 hours later
Thank you for responding to me. In answer to your questions, yes I have noticed a change in my energy levels. I was so tired one day last week I sat on my floor to stretch and before I knew it I was waking up. I don't even remember falling asleep or being that tired.

I did gain about 7-8lbs over the Holidays but have already dropped 6lbs since then. I am 134 and 5'0. I am aiming to lose about 15more by summer.

My mentral cycles have always been irregular but the past 2 months have actually come at the same time.

I am not sure if I have experienced any burning, nothing that I noticed anyway.

I have been occasionaly getting these sharp pains in my lower stomach and more dull pain in my lower back.

I do have good eating habits but I do need to exercise more regularly. My cardio is usually me cleaning my house and then I do light weight training a few nights a week. Thank you for your help!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

You have provided helpful information which makes things clear.

According to your Body Mass Index which stands at 26.2 (Normal is 18.6 to 24.), you are Overweight. This needs to be addressed in a professional manner.

It is good to know that you are trying to shed excess pounds which is a great first step to staying healthy.

Kindly do follow the diet and exercise regime as I mentioned in my previous post. Try this for a couple of months. If your symptoms are gone by then, you can rejoice. If not, you may need a workup for the hormones as I mentioned.

Since menstrual cycles are regular it is less likely to be thyroid dysfunction or any other hormone problem.

The pains you experience could be due to muscle fatigue while doing house-hold chores. Take a break frequently. Do not stress. Spend some time pampering yourself. Do Yoga for stress relief. Also do mild back bending exercises to strengthen your lower back.