Constipation during pregnancy. Stools with white strands. Is that okay?

I am pregnant and I have been constipated pooing every two days. Today I pooed a solid stool with white strands on it? Is that ok?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
The finding of white strands on the stool could be mucus threads or worms. Contrary to what most people believe, worms don’t always move in the stools and cannot be distinguished from mucus threads without a stool examination.
I would suggest that a stool examination be done for you so that we know the cause. This will help us start the right treatment depending upon the cause.
If its worms, then you would need antibiotics and if its mucus threads, then it could be normal or due to an intestinal infection.
The test will help diagnose the problem as well as reduce your apprehensions.
Passing stool on alternate days is not worrisome if the stool is not too hard.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.