Constipation, diarrhea, IBS, loperamide, peppermint oil treatment

I have been to the Vetarns Affairs Doc not to long ago with issues ranging from consitpation (rare) to diarrhea (common). It is not uncommon for me to have flatulence and unexpected bowl movement, yes I have had accidents and its not uncommon. I have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy as well as all the typical fecal tests and nothing came back abnormal so the reports say. I am told its probably just stress or maybe IBS and that was that, as if there was nothing else to be done. I honestly am afraid to leave the house to go to class, work or even to the gym, in fear of not getting to the bathroom in time as the symptoms are quick and unexpected. I am to the point of seriously considering buying and wearing adult briefs so at least I do not get enbarrased. I have tried to see if there is a pattern between what I eat and drink and the issue, while coffee seems to make it worse, the problem is still there if I go without. I have yet to find what foods that may be causing the problem. I am truly at a loss and it seems anything I eat causes problems. Is there anything that may have been overlooked by the VA doc that I can go back and ask to have ran? Or should I just manage the syptoms?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query ,

The symptoms you have do convince me to accept the diagnosis of IBS . It is very typical how its presenting in you.

But surely I will help you by providing some useful and reliable tips which will reduce your symptoms :

1)Peppermint oil is widely used for abdominal pain and bloating of irritable bowel syndrome, possibly by blocking the movement of calcium into muscle cells in the intestines and easing excessive muscle contraction there.

2)Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or colas).

3)If diarrhea is your main symptom, limit dairy products, fruit, and artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol or xylitol.

4)Avoid wheat, rye, barley, chocolate, milk products, and alcohol.

5)Fiber foods like XXXXXXX or raw leafy XXXXXXX vegetables (these foods are high in insoluble fiber, a dietary trigger) can make symptoms worse.

6)Soluble fiber found in starches is what to be preferred ,Soluble fiber soothes and regulates the digestive tract, stabilizes the intestinal contractions resulting from the gastrocolic reflex, and normalizes bowel function from either extreme. Soluble fiber prevents and relieves both diarrhea and constipation.

7)Diarrhea be treated by Loperamide.

8)Lubiprostone for constipation symptoms.

9)Alternative therapies like gut-directed hypnotherapy, are clinically proven remedies for relieving IBS symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.