Constipation, cramps, nausea, sweating and shaking just before onset of menstruation. What's wrong?

I am 21. Not sexually active. This morning I woke up with cramps and nausea. I was constipated and after a couple minutes on the toilet I was sweating heavily and shaking. After I had finished going to the bathroom I felt fine again. About 12 hours later my period started. I don't usually have bad periods like this. This has only happened once, maybe twice before. Why did it happen?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 18 minutes later

Your symptoms of constipation , cramps , and nausea just before onset of menstruation suggests that you are suffering from PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
PMS is very common in young girls.

Certain hormonal changes in later part of menstrual cycle (luteal phase) has triggered your PMS. But its nothing to worry about. Infact, PMS suggest your cycles are ovulatory.

I recommend you to modify your lifestyle to prevent it in future:

1.Drink plenty of fluids (water or juice).
2.Eat frequent, small meals. balanced diet.
3.exercise moderately, reduce weight if you are overweight. Ideal BMI 18-24.
4.Have a sound sleep.

Hope this helps,
You could write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer