Constipation, blood in stool, ovary pain. +ve ovulation test. Taking vitamins. What can cause blood in stool?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
2 questions. Constipated and blood came out and positive ovulation test with ovary pain? In the middle of the night I woke up with pain on my side (ovary) and it was pretty painful. I took pills and it went away. I took an ovulation test with my first pee in the morning and it was positive. I am on day 13 of cycle. Also I been taking a lot of vitamins and teas and less water and I been constipated lately. After I wiped I saw bright red blood on paper today. Can I have cut my self down there because of constipation? Or something bad? This never happens. Only with hemmhroids.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 35 minutes later
Hi there.

I have read and understood your query.

Do you have any blood in the stool, any history of hemorrhoids, any blood in urine or burning sensation on passing urine.

Have you missed your period. When was your last period.

You mentioned that you had seen blood on the tissue paper. Is there any pain while passing stool recently.

Usually during ovulation, pain can occur on one side of the abdomen. It can also be associated with mild bleeding called Mittleschmerz bleeding. It is harmless and present in some women during ovulation time. Since the Ovulation Test is positive it could possibly indicate the same.

Have a diet low in carbohydrates and fats and XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes. All these measures will help prevent constipation and aid good bowel movement. Also lead a stress free life and get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. If the constipation is not relieved soon you may take 2 tablespoons of Ispaghulla husk with warm water to aid bowel movement.

It would be advisable to notice if there is any blood in stool and urine as well to rule out other causes. You may consult your Doctor to confirm ovulation on the ultrasound as well so that pregnancy may be planned as required, and also to find the right cause of the bleeding and give appropriate treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Constipation, blood in stool, ovary pain. +ve ovulation test. Taking vitamins. What can cause blood in stool? 24 minutes later
Yes I saw blood in stool. I do have history of hemmhroids. I was straining a lot. The blood was bright red. No blood in urine. My last period was Feb 20. I hav been straining a lot lately.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing back.

Since you do have a history of hemorrhoids and also the bright red colour of the blood it is likely that the blood is due to your hemorrhoids.

You will need to consume a diet XXXXXXX in fibre like fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Avoid junk food.

As mentioned earlier, consume Ispaghulla husk which will also allow smooth passage of stool preventing constipation.

Kindly get examined by your Doctor and get the hemorrhoids treated surgically in case your Doctor feels they are big enough to deserve the same.

Hemorrhoids are a result of chronic constipation in most cases. If you improve your diet, perform regular exercise and drink plenty of water the hemorrhoids can regress and you may no longer suffer from them.

Follow-up: Constipation, blood in stool, ovary pain. +ve ovulation test. Taking vitamins. What can cause blood in stool? 41 minutes later
Can this be also due to tearing from straining? I had went again and I wasn't constipated and my stool was fine. No blood. I will drink more water and more fiber. I do take a lot of vitamins. Could the other pain I had on ovaries be ovulation? Or to early? Thank you do much for the help

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Tearing from straining will cause severe pain in the anal region called anal fissure which is associated with bleeding. If there is no pain, then unlikely it is fissure.

Kindly follow proper diet as mentioned and avoid 'lot' of vitamins. Also consult with your Surgeon to make the proper diagnosis and treatment.