Constipation, bleeding with stools, white yellow mucus, no medical history. Antibiotics required ?

hi my 6yr old daughter, 23kgs, and no medical history.... was constipated last wk finally passed a stool which split her and little blood appeared.. now she has being passing stools with a whitish, yellowish mucus.... lost not weight, still eating and playing like a normal child.... will i leave it and wait and c if it passes itself or does she need some antibiotics.... sound like she has an infection somewhere....
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

First of all let me reassure you that this is not a major problem. What you have described looks more likely like a classic hemorrhoid.

These are not XXXXXXX or life threatening.

Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, twice daily I'l like you to make her sit in a warm batch in the bathtub for 20 minutes. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

Next, you can go to any local pharmacy and pick up a tube of preparation H cooling gel. This is a clear gel which you can apply to the swollen areas after each bowel movement and also at bedtime. Over time this helps also to shrink the hemorroidal tissue.

Again, hemorrhoids are common and not worrisome. Occasionally they can become larger and bleed but it subsides in 7-10 days.

Avoid constipation which is the main precipitating factor. Give her high fibre diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fruits to eat.

Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of IBS), ulcerative colitis, bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction.

Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here. These basic test are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.

I encourage you to consult your primary physician and get the relevant investigations done.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.