Constipation, anxiety and depression, taking Citalopram, throat discomfort. Have underactive thyroid. What is it?

Jan 2013

I'm a 40 year old mother to 5 children, the youngest 11 months. I have felt unwell since I had my last baby. I have an underactive thyroid and take 125mg of thyroxine. My thyroid levels dropped after my having the baby, and I experienced severe constipation and have been diagnosed with a lazy bowel. I have suffered with severe anxiety and depression and am now on 20 mg of citalopram. I have also had a wierd feeling in my throat that comes and goes as though I have something where my thyroid is, do you think it's to do with anxiety or my thyr oid? I have had some virus for the last 4 days or so and have had a sore throat with very bad back neck and throat tension including a sore feeling where my thyroid is and a lump feeling when swallowing. I have just finished my period and have only been taking the ssri for 4 weeks, so I'm not sure if my nerves are affected by this.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

1) As mentioned by you, your symptoms are most likely due to throat infection (may be viral) or acute tonsillitis.
2) Viral Infection in form of sore throat/ common cold may cause muscle ache (myalgia), pain in throat and a sore feeling.
3) Acute tonsillitis may cause difficulty in swallowing and pain in throat, and a lump feeling due to enlarged tonsils.
4) Enlarged thyroid gland may cause difficulty in swallowing only when the size is very enlarged but enlarged thyroid/ hypothyroidism never causes sore feeling. Although hypo/ hyperthyroidism may cause muscle ache.
5) Escitalopram does not cause mentioned symptoms so the possibility of side effects is least.
6) Wierd feeling in throat may be due to anxiety and you should consult with psychiatrist. You should take those psychiatric medicines which have effects on multiple somatic symptoms.

Put your query if you have

Get well soon.

Dr. Mayank Bhargava