Constipation and diarrhea alternately for no apparent reason. Why would this happen?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I need some advice I keep getting bouts of constipation then diarrhea for no apparent I nearly haven't made it to the bathroom a few times recently why would this happen?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 5 hours later

A bout of constipation followed by diarrhea is suggestive of IBS). Though same kind of history may be obtained in rectal cancer, in your age group incidence of rectal cancer is very, very less. There is also a possibility of inflammatory bowel diseases. But in all probability you are suffering from IBS since it's the most common problem one suffers in your age group without any apparent cause. Although you didn't mention the duration of your symptomatology, I think it's a chronic problem and 12 months duration is required to establish the diagnosis of IBS as per Rome's criteria. But if it’s less than 12 months then also diagnosis of IBS can be suspected on the basis of typical nature of symptoms.

If this is the case, you may get relief by taking mebeverin tablets (colospa) daily along with at least 3 litre of water intake daily. Alongside you need to cut off your anxiety and you may use alprazolam 0.5 mg tablet at bed time (Medications are prescription drugs though). Make a regular bowel habit early in the morning. Along with it you should take an appointment with a gastroenterologist. A colonoscopy needs to be done also to exclude local organic bowel pathologies like growth or inflammatory changes.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you want to know more about this topic please write back to me. Please write a review on this answer.

God bless you.

Dr. Arnab Maji

Follow-up: Constipation and diarrhea alternately for no apparent reason. Why would this happen? 18 hours later
They have given me mebervirne but it's not making much difference, They treated me for IBS but it never got formally dignoised I am in the UK and My gp is currently reffered me to a few drs due to Ob/Gyne problems, which is getting worst a lot worst. I am scared especially by the recent episode ,

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Do you have any problem with respect to your menstrual cycle? If yes, you need to have ultrasonography (USG) of lower abdomen and pelvis done.

Also I previously advised you to go for colonoscopic examination - along with this a routine and microscopic examination of stool should be done.

Gynecological problems like chronic pelvic inflammatory disease may sometimes involve bowel and may lead to same kind of problem though rare. So please do consult a gynecologist and a gastroenterologist.

If you want to know further you may ask me freely. Please write a review on this answer.

God bless you.

Dr. Arnab Maji