Constipation, anal fissures. On cremaffin stool softners, wants to take sitz bath. Can I take cremaffin daily?

Question
My name is Srinivas. I am suffering from severe constipation followed by anal fissure from last 1 month. I consulted 1 surgeon regarding this and he advised to go for sitz bath and given cremaffin stool softner and asked me to take some veggies and fruits in diet. It was all about to heal but in middle the hard stool is again making it rupture and I see the blood stain in stool. Can you please tell me what do I need to do for this. I think the water retention is not happening in my colon/rectum the stool is very hard to pass. If I take cremaffin it will be OK. Please advise me as what needs to do. Can I use the cremaffin daily?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

The main cause of your problem is constipation or the hard stool. You can take Cremaffin daily until the lesions heal completely. Taking cremaffin on a regular basis does not cause much harm if it is taken for less than three months at a stretch.

Once the lesions are completely cured then you can gradually reduce the amount of the laxative. Alternatively you can use some herbal stool softeners like triphala chur.

You can take some simple measures in addition to the fiber that you are taking to have relief for some extent-

1. Drink a glass of water before going to toilet. This will help in the increasing the bowel movements as well as compensate for the water loss from body.

2. Take probiotics- lactobacillus acidophillus spores.

3. Do acupressure-The point is at the highest spot of the muscle between the thumb and index finger when they are brought close together. With your thumb or middle finger at a 90 degree angle to the skin, apply gradually increasing pressure. Hold for three minutes. The pressure should not be painful or uncomfortable.

4. Take magnesium supplements or magnesium XXXXXXX foods like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

5. Engage in regular physical activity. Not doing enough physical activity can lead to constipation.

6. Don’t put off the urge. The longer you delay when the urge to have a bowel movement strikes, the more water gets absorbed from stool and the harder it becomes to have a bowel movement.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.