Constipated, sore breast, dizziness and lightheaded. Pregnancy test negative. Worrisome

Mar 2016

I believe i am having "pregnancy symptoms" although the test i took today come back negative. I never get sore breasts and this week it is a relief to take my bra off, i have been consitpated, falling asleep by 9pm back ache, dizzy and light headed, all of which is unusual for me. Am i testing to early. My last period was the 12th XXXXXXX and i am a 33 day cycle? I am 28 years old.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Actually, pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. Here, your expected due date will be 13th February in case of 33 days cycle. You ovulated around 30-31st January and your fertile days was 27th January to 3rd February. If you did unprotected sex in this time period, then there is high chance of being pregnant.

In addition, all your above said clinical features are mostly suggestive of early week of pregnancy. These features include increased breast tenderness & increased breast size, nausea/ vomiting, constipation, food craving, mood swing, white vaginal discharge, backache, fatigue & exhaustion, headache etc. Sore breast is possibly due to progesterone hormone.

Here, you can undergo home pregnancy test 2 weeks after ovulation date or around period due date/ missed period. At that time, home pregnancy test with urine for beta HCG gives only 95% positive result. 95-99% positive result can be achieved after 7 days of missed period as sometimes early pregnancy test may give false negative result.

Estimation of beta HCG level and ultrasound scan (on 5-6 weeks) or Trans Vaginal Sonography (on 4-5 weeks) are the gold standard for 100% confirmation of pregnancy.

In the interim, the following things can help you:

1) Take healthy diet & avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food.
2) Drink lots of water/ fluid & eat fresh fruits/ vegetables
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) May take paracetamol tab for light headed.
5) Maintain personal hygiene properly.
6) Need adequate sleeping/ bed rest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen