Constipated and noticed blood. Have I caused gastrointestinal perforation?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I was constipated for a few days so I decided to stimulate my anal sphincter and insert two fingers up my anus in order to produce a bowel movement. I was able to pass the bowel movement successfully but when I removed my fingers they were covered in quite a lot of blood. Is it possible that my actions may have caused a gastrointestinal perforation? I am quite concerned due to the blood that I saw.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

Gastrointestinal perforation is unlikely.
The bleeding might be due to a tear in the anal sphincter.

If there is persistent bleeding, get medical attention.

I hope that answers your question.

If there are no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Constipated and noticed blood. Have I caused gastrointestinal perforation? 14 minutes later
Dr. Kini,

Thank you for your answer and helping to clear my head a bit. I am still slightly concerned however as I did stick my finger up rather father in order to be able to pass the bowel movement. Are there any other negative outcomes that this action could produce and if so, what symptoms should I look out for? (Besides persistent bleeding.) Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 30 minutes later
Two things ca occur due to that.
1. Tear in the anal sphincter
2. Ulceration in the rectum.

Both will present with bleeding.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini