Constipated and moderate amount of diarrhea. Use laxatives. Took prune juice, miralax and enema. Prescribed magnesium citrate. Guide?

I have been constipated for 2 weeks last Sunday I was able to use laxatives and had moderate amount of diarrhea. Since then I took prune juice, miralax, ducolax, and an enema. No movement at all. No pain just lower abdominal tenderness. I went to ER yesterday. Xray showed stool and gas. They said more gas then. I gave myself the enema in the bathroom with no result. I was sent home with magnesium citrate. I have had 2 bottles. I have had moderate diarrhea. My concern is about 4 weeks or more back I swallowed large amounts of gum. If the gum was obstructing me would it show in the xray?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 19 minutes later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I don't think swallowing of gum can cause constipation.

It was simply constipation which you have suffered from, which is now relieved. however to prevent that further you should take lots of fibres in your diet (may be psyllium fibres), and take lots of fluids. However if it recurs again then you may be thoroughly evaluated by getting some blood tests like thyroid profile, serum calcium and potassium levels, and may be colonoscopy

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon